Access to Justice Exchange
2019 Access to Justice Exchange
“Justice for All: Empower – Engage – Sustain”
The Access to Justice Exchange (A2J Exchange) is a series of workshops, forums, and roundtables, which take place both a few days before and a few days after the 8th Asia Pro Bono Conference. (Sept 10-12 & 16-18).
This Exchange grows out of the many years of experience of having Pre and Post APBC A2J related events, which have occurred but have not always been directly connected to the APBC. As 2019 is being designated as the Year of Justice for All, the APBC Consortium could think of no better time than now to more formalize these events into the A2J Exchange.
The events taking place during the Exchange will vary in both thematic areas, as well as the participants involved. Some of the events will be open to persons from around the globe to register (which will be a separate registration from the 8APBC) while other events and workshops will be done through a pre-selection process.
All of the A2J Exchange events will have strong relevance to justice issues in both the Asia region and globally. While some of them will have a specific focus on the intersection of pro bono and access to justice, not all of these events will have a specific pro bono focus.
Some of the events will be half-day, full-day and some will be two full days.
While the final A2J Exchange events have not been formalized, currently a number of them have been confirmed, or are in the later stages of being confirmed. These include, but are not limited to:
- Legal Empowerment and Access to Justice
- Strengthening Community Para-legalism in Asia – Recognition, Support and Public Financing
- Migrants and Non-Citizens on Death Row in Asia and the Middle-East
- Street Law and Pro Bono
- The Role of the Judiciary and in Achieving Access to Justice
- South Asia Forum on Business and Human Rights
- Legal Ethics, Access to Justice and Pro Bono
- Dialogue with Policy Makers, Lawyers and Legal Experts/Academics on Harm Reduction and Drug Policy Issues
- The Role of Bar Associations in Supporting Pro Bono to Achieve Access to Justice
- Bar Association and Support for Pro Bono
As these and other events become more formalized, contact information will be listed on how to potentially participate. If you are interested in organizing an event as part of the A2J Exchange please contact the APBC Secretariat at: [email protected]